Do you spend your waking hours reflecting on a person or situation from the past and feel unable to concentrate?
Does the memory of this past event arouse powerful and distressing feelings and, even with time, these feelings have not faded?
Traumatic experiences are part of the fabric of life. Yet, most of these life events fade and we can return to this time without the intense emotional response that was present in the past.
Trauma occurs when a person senses they are in a situation where there is increased risk of danger to themselves or others. These events are truly frightening and cause increased stress and feelings of helplessness.
Examples of a traumatic situation
- Life Threatening Illness
- Sudden Death
- Serious Accident
- Being involved in a first aid incident
- Physical Attack
- Being Mugged or Robbed
- Sexual Assault
- Exposure to horrific events involving for example;
- Military Personnel
- Emergency Services Personnel
At the time of the event, the body’s natural defence mechanisms of “Flight and Fight” step up and for many people they demonstrate incredible courage and determination.
As the feelings of shock and denial fade, crippling fear-based feelings can take their place.
- Are you frightened it will happen again?
- Do you feel helpless that you could do nothing about it?
- Are you suffering from feelings of guilt that you survived?
- Are you drawn back to the past event as if it is happening all over again?
- Do you get flashbacks, nightmares, a constant sense of doom?
- Have you lost interest in every day activities and feel cut off from friends/family?
Contact me to discuss how I may help you overcome your trauma.